Monday, September 18, 2006

Weekend Pass

I had a great weekend that involved not a single hand of poker. I totally got to be DAD the couch potato.. it was awesome.

Friday night we played meet the Fockers as a neighbor had happy hour on our street. We got to meet our 'new' neighbors and talk shop, football, (college variety) golf (2 of my neighbors are Sales rep's) and of course kids. There were about 15 adults and 80(ok slightly exaggerated) running around. It was a nice relaxing time, but my mind was on something else.

TV

My big honkin' TV showed up Friday afternoon, and I did not get a chance to play with it earlier, so when we got home I set it up post haste. And as feared my HD service did not work...ugh. SO I decided that Friday nite at 10 after several cocktails was not the best time to complain to DirecTV. I set up the other receiver and we watched Cinderella Man at a measly 480i, but tomorrow I graduate to 1080p. WO0T!

Saturday I went to a buddy's house and watched some football, I got second again in my college pickem league and its already pissing me off. First week I tied for first, but lost the tiebreaker, 2nd week I get 2nd, this week I miss by one....dammmit USC!
Hope is not lost though as it is a long season and I only need to win one week to cover the year. I am also First overall at this point, which garners a price at the end of the season as well.

Saturday night was camping under the stars....2 times a year my n'hood has a camping night in the common grounds. Last year was miserable with rain, but my son and I stuck it out. This year, the girls wanted to stay all night, so we packed em all up. We had a great time with relay races, tug of war, and the like. As night fell, the obligatory smores were being roasted, and someone had the foresight of bringing a projector. There was a tarp hung over the baseball backstop and they played Pirates of the Caribbean to the crowd, It was better than the drive-in, since we could sprawl our blankets out under the clear cool night. The whole fam snuggled under the blankets. The girls passed out before the 'scary' parts near the end, which was good. But my son the trooper made it to the end. He was even a little upset that he had to go to sleep at midnight, but it didn't last long as he passed out fairly quickly.

Finally, the wife and I had a couple of hours to sit by the fire, and just talk. We don't get alot of that these days, and it was an absolute perfect night. Except for sleeping. Even my drugs didn't help quell the pain in my shoulder against the slightly padded ground. I am definitely getting an air mattress before the next camp-out.

Sunday was Me, my remote, a fridge full of beer and the sunday ticket!! My son watch with me a little bit, but the wife had activities for the kids and herself for most of the day. I Sat and wept with joy.

No comments: